Skip to main content

Non-African Americans?

Throughout White Boy Shuffle, we see references to several other types of people that are not solely on the Anglo-Saxon American white and the African-American black. I'm going to talk a bit about the two most prominent ones that I have noticed in the book: Jewish and Japanese. Those two have come up several times in the book, and Beatty has a surprising amount of references to aspects of culture and history involving those two groups.

I'll start with the Jewish references. Most of these references are in conjunction with WWII era events, with Gunnar talking about WWII Germany with one of his Jewish friends. Although this part of the theory is not super concrete because I don't know a vast amount about Judism and the events surrounding the Jewish people, I think I can say some things generally from what I know about history. Since the Jewish people were often seen as scapegoats for bad times, they were often blamed and persecuted throughout history. Beatty could be trying to make an association about oppression here with African Americans and Jewish people, but ever since Gunnar left his first school I haven't seen any other allusions to this theme.

The next part I want to talk about is Beatty's use of a lot of Japanese things. When I say a lot here I mean that he uses way more than I have seen in any book that isn't directly about Japan. The Gun Totin' Hooligan's meeting is described as "not as formal as a Japanese Tea ceremony". The coach Motome Shimimoto practices ukiyo-e art derived from Hokusai, which was a reference I was really surprised to see (Hokusai is the guy who made the Thirty-six views of Mount Fuji which includes that one really famous wave painting that I'm pretty sure everyone has seen:)

Gunnar even marries Yoshiko Katsu from Japan in chapter nine (spoilers for those of you not doing the reading). The Japanese that Beatty puts in there is mostly correct (there are a few misspellings I've seen but they're all from Gunnar so it would make some sense). Setting wise having so much Japanese culture would make sense. They are in Los Angeles, California, where a lot of Japanese settled after immigrating to America. This amount of association is weird for a African-American novel though, as I don't think there's a lot of similarities between the two in America. There was the internment camps during WWII for the Japanese, so that could be a line of similar oppression there, but African-American oppression has carried on for way longer. It could just be that Beatty is using the references as a setting piece or that Beatty just want to have nods to another culture.

Comments

  1. Nice Post. I have spent a lot of time thinking about Beatty's references to other cultures and I came to a similar conclusion. I also thought the female characters in the book were pretty interesting. They don't seem to play super huge roles, but they also don't all necessarily fit stereotypes and some of the situations in the book (like the coed sports teams and the description of the whole mailed bride situation) seem to indicate some kind of recognition of feminist issues. In the end I think Beatty definitely wanted to address more issues than just racism against African Americans, but he also wanted to focus on racism against African Americans (and probably wanted to finish the book) so maybe that explains the mix of social issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post. After ~5 minutes of Googling (not extensive), I don't think Paul Beatty had any heavy connections with either Jewish or Japanese communities in his life while writing The White Boy Shuffle, so I think it's safe to say those references are intentional. As to why he included those references, I think he just wanted to tip his hat to other marginalized groups in America. This is just one of another serious undertone to The White Boy Shuffle, and I think should be appreciated.

    I also wanted to point out how incredibly funny that David the Jewish guy gets really excited about WWII airplanes and stuff like that, considering that Jews were probably among the most heavily persecuted group in that war.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Educational Naturalism

Throughout Native Son, Bigger makes choices. Many of these choices cause him to tumble down a continuous spiral to his eventual trial and execution for the murder and supposed rape of Mary Dalton. While reading this book, I thought at many times to try to call out to Bigger, and give him a bit of guidance because I could see where some of his actions were leading. I realized that I was using education that I had received in my schooling years that Bigger was not fortunate enough to have, and that Bigger's environment hadn't prepared his foresight enough to prevent him from making several fatal mistakes in a row. So is the true culprit Naturalism? I believe that Wright was trying to achieve the same response I gave to seeing Bigger make those mistakes. I believe that his Naturalist "lab" (for lack of a better term) was designed to show how much education can play into the choices we make. And I do not mean only the education you receive in schools. If Bigger had seen

Speeches

In Invisible Man , the narrator seems to have a natural talent for public speaking. He begins speaking during his school years before the Battle Royale and has had a speech during the home eviction. He has also been drafted into the "Brotherhood" to do more public speaking. He seems to have a talent for rousing crowds, even if that was not shown in his Battle Royale speech. After the home eviction speech, he thinks of himself as a famous speaker akin to Booker T. Washington and takes pride in that. Now to the main point. Is the author fond of speeches because it makes him more individual? During his speeches he is separate from the crowd, able to show his views on matters and not be just a cog in a machine (as Norton calls it). Even if he may not be truly visible, his unique existence cannot be fully denied. Is not being able to make speeches why he has retreated within his "hole" during the prologue? Is writing this book and sharing his views and experiences how

Dialects in Literature

In the most recent novel we are reading in class, Their Eyes Were Watching God , the characters all speak in a distinct dialect of English that is non-standard. "I" is changed to "Ah", verbs are shortened, there are double negatives, and so on. Though for some this may be hard to read and understand, especially in a book where most of the story is delivered through dialogue, but I feel that these kinds of literary quirks can really differentiate a story. Not just in a narrative about African Americans, but in other literature with other English dialects. People can usually tell the difference between British English and American Standard English when spoken, but when written as dialogue they very rarely show any of the differences in the dialects. Given, those two are very similar but the same kind of logic can be applied to other dialects of English. Authors usually wrote their dialogue in standard, and they would use a different dialect if the character was "