Skip to main content

Non-African Americans?

Throughout White Boy Shuffle, we see references to several other types of people that are not solely on the Anglo-Saxon American white and the African-American black. I'm going to talk a bit about the two most prominent ones that I have noticed in the book: Jewish and Japanese. Those two have come up several times in the book, and Beatty has a surprising amount of references to aspects of culture and history involving those two groups.

I'll start with the Jewish references. Most of these references are in conjunction with WWII era events, with Gunnar talking about WWII Germany with one of his Jewish friends. Although this part of the theory is not super concrete because I don't know a vast amount about Judism and the events surrounding the Jewish people, I think I can say some things generally from what I know about history. Since the Jewish people were often seen as scapegoats for bad times, they were often blamed and persecuted throughout history. Beatty could be trying to make an association about oppression here with African Americans and Jewish people, but ever since Gunnar left his first school I haven't seen any other allusions to this theme.

The next part I want to talk about is Beatty's use of a lot of Japanese things. When I say a lot here I mean that he uses way more than I have seen in any book that isn't directly about Japan. The Gun Totin' Hooligan's meeting is described as "not as formal as a Japanese Tea ceremony". The coach Motome Shimimoto practices ukiyo-e art derived from Hokusai, which was a reference I was really surprised to see (Hokusai is the guy who made the Thirty-six views of Mount Fuji which includes that one really famous wave painting that I'm pretty sure everyone has seen:)

Gunnar even marries Yoshiko Katsu from Japan in chapter nine (spoilers for those of you not doing the reading). The Japanese that Beatty puts in there is mostly correct (there are a few misspellings I've seen but they're all from Gunnar so it would make some sense). Setting wise having so much Japanese culture would make sense. They are in Los Angeles, California, where a lot of Japanese settled after immigrating to America. This amount of association is weird for a African-American novel though, as I don't think there's a lot of similarities between the two in America. There was the internment camps during WWII for the Japanese, so that could be a line of similar oppression there, but African-American oppression has carried on for way longer. It could just be that Beatty is using the references as a setting piece or that Beatty just want to have nods to another culture.

Comments

  1. Nice Post. I have spent a lot of time thinking about Beatty's references to other cultures and I came to a similar conclusion. I also thought the female characters in the book were pretty interesting. They don't seem to play super huge roles, but they also don't all necessarily fit stereotypes and some of the situations in the book (like the coed sports teams and the description of the whole mailed bride situation) seem to indicate some kind of recognition of feminist issues. In the end I think Beatty definitely wanted to address more issues than just racism against African Americans, but he also wanted to focus on racism against African Americans (and probably wanted to finish the book) so maybe that explains the mix of social issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post. After ~5 minutes of Googling (not extensive), I don't think Paul Beatty had any heavy connections with either Jewish or Japanese communities in his life while writing The White Boy Shuffle, so I think it's safe to say those references are intentional. As to why he included those references, I think he just wanted to tip his hat to other marginalized groups in America. This is just one of another serious undertone to The White Boy Shuffle, and I think should be appreciated.

    I also wanted to point out how incredibly funny that David the Jewish guy gets really excited about WWII airplanes and stuff like that, considering that Jews were probably among the most heavily persecuted group in that war.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Educational Naturalism

Throughout Native Son, Bigger makes choices. Many of these choices cause him to tumble down a continuous spiral to his eventual trial and execution for the murder and supposed rape of Mary Dalton. While reading this book, I thought at many times to try to call out to Bigger, and give him a bit of guidance because I could see where some of his actions were leading. I realized that I was using education that I had received in my schooling years that Bigger was not fortunate enough to have, and that Bigger's environment hadn't prepared his foresight enough to prevent him from making several fatal mistakes in a row. So is the true culprit Naturalism? I believe that Wright was trying to achieve the same response I gave to seeing Bigger make those mistakes. I believe that his Naturalist "lab" (for lack of a better term) was designed to show how much education can play into the choices we make. And I do not mean only the education you receive in schools. If Bigger had seen...

Their Eyes Were Watching 19th Century Novel

I've said it once and I'll say it again. Their Eyes Were Watching God  seems to me like an archetypal 19th Century British novel. Something about how the prose is structured and the events played out seemed exactly like the events we would read about in 19th Century. There are multiple suitors and each one the main character sees something in them but then they end up not liking a few of them until they meet the one they decide is right for them. Then they get into some trouble with this "perfect" suitor and this problem carries the rest of the plot. The arranged marriage also is very reminiscent of the stifling atmosphere of 19th century novels. Towards the end of the book it becomes a more modern piece (because it starts with a marriage and ends with no partner as opposed to the reverse in 19th century novels), as well as having a more progressive feminist message. Still, some deep dark part of me has a traumatic fit whenever I think of Pride and Prejudice .

Invisible Horseman Shuffle

Sorry To Bother You  is... a movie. Ending aside, the movie gave me very distinct vibes to two different books we read this semester. The more obvious one was the one Mr. Mitchell alluded to, White Boy Shuffle , which was the same kind of dreamlike experience. Both the works have the comedy elements interspersed with the grim and bleak aspects. However, the book Sorry To Bother You  most reminded me of was Invisible Man , mostly because Cassius Green is basically trying to find his place in things by finding work and looking for success by trying to assimilate himself into white society and "undermine them with yeses". Unfortunately because of the plot, yeses aren't enough to stop the inhuman experiments being preformed on people. Therefore Cassius switches from a meek individual who goes along with what his corporate says to a more violent outlook against WorryFree. The corporate guy (I forgot his name since names in this movie are kinda all over the place) said Cassius ...